Tackling Vision Problems: A Comprehensive Guide to Astigmatism Correction

Astigmatism arises due to changes in the curvature of the cornea or lens. It is a refractive error; that is, when light enters the eye, instead of converging in a single point, it spreads diffusely in multiple points of focus, causing distorted and dull images. The problem can appear at any age, in varying degrees. It can be low (up to 3 degrees), moderate (from 3 to 6 degrees), and high (above 6 degrees).

Generally, 95% of cases arise in the cornea, and the other 5% in the lens. Different types of astigmatism are influenced by the focal points’ angle and location before or after the retina. The most common are corneal astigmatism, residual (caused by factors other than the cornea), myopic or hypermetropic (regular or irregular), or mixed.

What Are The Symptoms?

The main difficulty of those with astigmatism require correction of astigmatism is seeing both far and near. Some common symptoms may indicate that the person has the problem, such as headaches and eye pain, in addition to:

  • Light sensitivity (photophobia)
  • blink excessively
  • Blurry vision or double vision
  • Tired eyes and strain to see
  • Lack of focus on vision
  • burning eyes

Attention To The Necessary Care!

Astigmatism can also be associated with other problems, such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, or keratoconus. That’s why exams with the ophthalmologist should be up to date! Especially children in the eye development phase usually have complaints at school, such as difficulty reading. It should be remembered that the child’s vision develops until the age of six or seven. When this age does not correct the grade problem, vision may not fully develop, known as amblyopia.

Astigmatism has no cure, but it has treatment! For some cases, glasses (cylindrical grade) or contact lenses (toric or rigid) are indicated. The ophthalmologist will assess what is best for each situation. In some cases, refractive surgery is recommended.

Refractive Surgery

For those over 18 years of age, refractive surgery may be indicated. It is a definitive solution for correcting the problem, discarding the need for glasses and contact lenses. Plus, it can fix more than one refractive problem at once! In addition to being minimally invasive, laser surgery is highly effective and safe. There are two main techniques, LASIK and PRK. Dr. Hilton Oliveira explains that the difference is how the laser is applied. PRK has a longer visual recovery, and the laser is applied to the cornea’s surface. It is more indicated for thinner corneas, usually in higher degrees.

On ​​the other hand, LASIK on Discover Vision for example offers rapid visual recovery and is applied inside the cornea. This requires greater criteria in the preoperative evaluation. It is generally indicated in lower degrees and more usual and simple situations.