What is Methylfolate?
Methylfolate is a biologically-active form of folate, and various body functions are linked with it, including, Methylation. The other names of methylfolate are L-methylfolate, L-5-methylfolate, Levomefolate, L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate, (6s)-5-MTHF, and (6s)-5-methyltetrahydrofolate. Methylfolate exits in two isomeric forms, L-methylfolate and 6s-methyltetrahydrofolate. All folate and folic acid are converted into methylfolate by the activity of the MTHFR enzyme in your body.
Why is Methylfolate important for me?
You may estimate the worth of this chemical; it is prescribed as health supplements or food. Folate and folic acid cannot play their role in the body without being converted into methylfolate. All folate and folic acid are converted into methylfolate by the activity of the MTHFR enzyme in your body.
- Methylfolate (Deplin) is used to treat depression alongside antidepressant drugs in depressive patients. Antidepressant medicines may not work effectively during its low level in the body. It works as a catalyst and enhances the efficacy of drugs. It induces the production of mood-swinging chemicals such as; serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine.
- Methylfolate is the main agent that delivers the methyl group in the Methylation process. You may know Methylation is a unique and remarkable mechanism of your body. Methylfolate helps to lower the high homocysteine level and prevent you from serious health issues.
- Methylfolate is also the main player in maintaining pregnancy. It involves the optimization of baby growth and development. Its deficiency leads to miscarriage, and the baby is born with neural tube defects.
- People who carry defective MTHFR gene in their bodies cannot make the MTHFR enzyme that converts folate into methylfolate. The doctors prescribed methylfolate supplements to MTHFR patients.
Methylfolate helps your body in many ways; therefore, it is crucial for you.
What is Methylfolate Dosage right for me?
The amount of methylfolate that is required for your body varies from age to age and gender to gender. Hence, the current dietary reference intakes (DRIs) suggested by the Health and Medicines Department of National Academy Sciences.
The current dietary reference intake for folate are;
- Infants 0-6 months; 65 mcg DFE
- Infants 7-12 months; 80 mcg DFE
- Babies 1-3 years; 150 mcg DFE
- Children 4-8 years; 200 mcg DFE
- Children 9-13 years; 300 mcg DFE
- Teenagers 14-18 years; 400 mcg DFE
- Over 18 years old; 400 mcg DFE
- Pregnant women; 600 mcg DFE
- Lactating women; 500 mcg DFE
You may fulfill this requirement by taking folate-rich food and supplements containing folic acid and methylfolate.
The recommended dosage level of Methylfolate to target symptoms:
Methylfolate is available in the form of tablets and capsules.
- Mental health or depression: 7.5-15 mg/day (Adult and Older people)
- Dementia: 5-6 mg/day
- Diabetic Neuropathy: 3 mg/day
- Pregnancy: 1-4 mg/day
- Megaloblastic anemia: 7.5-15 mg/day(Adult and Older people)
- Renal and Hepatic impairment: Not exceed more than 40 mg/day
- Colon cancer: 100mg/day
- Methylfolate isused to treat Attention deficit disorder with or without Hyperactivity ADD/ADHD in children, and its dose may vary between 0.2 mg to 15 mg/day.
Talk to your doctor before taking methylfolate to suggest you its right dose because he knows your condition very well. And methylfolate may interact with medications.
You can purchase methylfolate supplements from any reliable company or suggested by your doctor. The most reliable brands are;
- Quatrefolic®, Metafolin®, Extrafolate S®, Maganfolate® PRO (International brands)
- Life extension Optimized folate
- Pink Stork folate
- Now Foods Methylfolate
- Throne Research–5-MTHF Folate Supplements
- Pure Encapsulations–B12 Folate
- Solgar — Folate
- Jarrow Formulas Methyl Folate
- Doctor’s Best Fully Active Folate
Methylfolate is a medicinal food, almost safe chemical, and indispensable for your existence. Various functions of your body are associated with it and cannot happen without its presence. The dosage of methylfolate depends on your body’s requirements. Its dosage is recommended according to the reference of folate. Usually, between 7.5 mg to 15 mg dosage is used to treat many disorders.